I read a lot of health food books. And whenever I am in the middle of one of those books, I feed my husband only greens, salads, nuts, and seaweed. No meat, no dairy, no fat. It’s been a week. Poor guy. I fed him a big bowl of salad last night and he was looking me like he was just about to faint.
Out of sympathy, I decide to make him all american comfort food-meat, fat and all included : Pot Roast!!! Yes, I went out my way and got a Le Creuset cast iron. (yes, I didn’t have one before…aghh embarrassing….but in an asian household, cast iron doesn’t make it top kitchen equipments. The only thing we need is a good rice cooker. And those cast irons are so $$$$$$$$!) Well it wasn’t too bad. I am actually quite proud of myself. My mother-in-law will be very proud. My husband’s face started to have some vital signs. Think I almost killed a Kansas boy by feeding him only greens. Oh well, here is your meat and potato, baby!
2 lb chuck roast (Please buy ‘happy’ cow)
2 cup beef stock
Half bottle red wine
5 Carrots1 large onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1 Potato peeled and chopped
Herb: Bay leaves, thyme, parsley
4. Sear the meat each side till golden brown (Cast iron should be hot! – nice golden crust on the meat is essential for the flavor!)
5. Take out the meat, set it a side.
6. Add onions cook till soft
7. Add garlic
8. Add reduced wine with herbs in it and simmer for a min.
9. Add beef stock and simmer for a min.
10. Put back the meat and simmer for a min.
11. Put the cast iron in oven (230’F) for 2~ 2 1/2hours
12. Add carrots and potato and back into oven (350’F) for an hour.
13. Take out bay leaves and thyme strings. Salt and pepper to taste.
14. Serve with your favorite sides.